Well recently with all the media attention on secondlife.com, I started my second life. Yes I currently have another life on top of my hectic Real Life!
You may wonder what I am talking about but this is all about living in the virtual world. No it is not a game. It is more than a game. A virtual world where you can look pretty much as anything and you can create pretty much anything that you can imagine.
Second Life is the 3 dimentional virtual world that received a lot of media attention lately. Hence I decided to give it a try about 2 weeks ago. Initially I thought it would be a game just like any other SIM games. However, when I joined I ran into to real people in a virtual world. Amazing!
I've heard about people making money with their second life as well. So the first day I've spent about $40 for my account at Second Life. Note, it is free to join second life and it is free to do many things in second life. However, if you want to own any land and build houses or businesses then you need to upgrade your account to Premium. That is what I did the first day. Upgrade my account and then converted my US dollars into Linden dollars to purchase some land. Yes Second Life has their own currency! Hence within the last 2 weeks, I have engaged in about $250 worth of transaction in world. I've bought few parcels of lands and then sold them until I found a large waterfront property to make it my home base. Thus far, I have learned to build a house and do some landscaping around my property. Warn you that this may be addictive!
So what have I learned:
- Yes you can make money on Second Life but not as much as a real world life
- If you have some money and want to explore how virtual living is then I would recommend you to give it a shot
- If you have a real world business and want to get exposure and some sales in virtual world then this will definitely help. IBM and many other known businesses have opened up then own store front in second life
- If you are a creative person who love to do some graphics then there are a lot of jobs in Second Life as a builder. Many people have large lands but don't know what to do with them. Hence your service will be appreciated.
- If you are into a specific hobby then I am sure you will find a group in Second Life that you can interact with and learn more
What you should watch out for:
- In Second Life you can pretty much do anything! Yes anything! So you need to make sure that is what you want to do or you will waste a lot of time
- You will interact with real life people and you need to be careful and understand their motivations before you deal with them
- If you are going to buy lands then I suggest you look around before you do that. There are private islands that you can buy land from but you will have to follow the rules of the owner of the private islands. So read their terms before you pay any money.
- If someone approach you to exchange land or for your help then you need to make sure that you can trust them. If you pay and you don't get anything then you are in trouble. That happens.
- There are many learning centres in second life, so take advantage of them.
I've ran into many nice people and I've ran into few that I've lost money for nothing. So just use your judgement and get to know people.
With all the Web 2.0 and all the interactive websites, virtual world is where business is going to happen in the future.
Visit SecondLife.comfor more details.